Friday, July 11, 2008

The Decor

Anyone that has visited our house knows that Nick and I are NOT decorators. We have quite possibly the ugliest couches known to man and have a total of 3 pictures or decorations hanging on the wall in the entire house. The rest of the walls are painted but totally bare. We joke that our "style" is simple functionality. Decorating is just not one of my strengths. I tend to freak out when I'm shopping for any sort of decoration and end up getting overwhelmed and leaving the store before I buy anything.

I am, however, a great copy cat. If I have something visual to work off of, I can make my room very similar. This is my only hope for Neptune's room. I spend countless hours scouring various internet sites looking for the perfect room so that I can copy it. Luckly, I've been able to find a few things that I like with pictures to follow.

If Neptune turns out to be Neptunia, we're pretty sure we're going to go with this "Secret Garden" bedding from Lambs & Ivy. I am not a fan of pink or purple so my choices were very limited in the girls bedding department. I love that it is red instead of pink and feel that it is a style that could grow with Neptunia into her toddler years. We would not be using the border as Nick had a bad experience removing the former border from Neptune's room but like the rest of the decorations.

If Neptune turns out to be a boy, we're currently planning on doing a sort of "beach-shack" type feel for the room. This one is a little bit tougher but I think I have a good general idea of what I want. Now it's a matter of finding it! I want to start with white wainscoting around the bottom of the room with the top painted sort of a blue-green color. Nick is not a fan of wainscoting so I still have some convincing to do in that department. I know that I want a surfboard with the baby's name on it to hang over the crib, kind of like one of these:

I want to find various fish, crab and other sea life decorations for the walls and possibly to hang from the ceiling. Maybe also find some life rings or other beachy decorations so it's not all surfing. The trick is, I don't want "baby" sea-life decorations. I want more realistic decorations that will remind you somewhat of a beach-side restaurant in Florida. I'm struggling with the bedding. I know I want some sort of stripe in shades of blue and green but haven't found the perfect one yet. I guess the search continues!

Keep us in your prayers on Monday as we have our ultrasound. We don't care if it's a Neptune or a Neptunia, as long as it's healthy!



No comments: